Monday, November 06, 2006

Where Did the Civil War End?

So this past weekend I had a great time playing host to my father and stepmother, Richard and Jeanie, here in Charlottesville and surrounding Central Virginia (quite a bit of it, as you will see). Dad and Jeanie last visited last fall, so it was good to have them back, and there was still plenty of ways for us to entertain ourselves. Last time we did the Monticello thing, UVA thing, Shenandoah NP thing...but there was plenty left!

On Thursday I daringly (at least I thought it was daring) decided that when they arrived I should have them over for dinner...that I would make. I enjoy cooking, but it is rare that I do it for oh, more than one or two people, and about, well, never, that I do it for my parents. Fortunately it all came out great (and I now have a good chicken chili and black bean recipe if you want it), with special thanks to Kim for the cornbread recipe and the marvelous Maggie for bringing along a great salad (this was a group effort).

One of the highlights of the trip was on Friday when we went out to lunch with everyone from my office. This was a blast, as I love the people that I work with, and it was fun for them to see my parents again (this is becoming an annual event) and also just nice for all of us to spend some time together not working. Dad and Jeanie regaled them with tales of the house construction and especially the solar power system, which everyone remains duly impressed by. (I have learned when explaining what my Dad does to point out that he installs solar *power* systems, since when I say he installs solar systems I get lots of odd looks)

We also toured Montpelier, the home of President Madison, which was fascinating, largely because it is still under "reconstruction." Apparently the owners of the house in the 20th century redid quite a bit of it and they are working to restore it to how it would have been when Madison owned it. Which is a different experience of history, and quite an interesting one. Our guide complained that they kept discovering yellow paint in lots of rooms as they did the archaelogical work...apparently she isn't such a fan of yellow. I hope to go back a few times before they finish the work to see the process.

We continued our historical tour with a visit to Appomattox Court House, which is the *town* where Lee surrendered to Grant, effectively ending the Civil War (historical note: I am aware the war did not suddenly end when this happened...if you want a detailed discussion of the end of the Civil War, I'm afraid you are on the wrong blog). This trip was interesting mainly because it turns out that Appomattox Court House is a TOWN! Not just a court house. In fact, the court house itself was closed the day of the surrender, so it was signed in a the McLean family home.

When I realized this, I felt as though I had been somehow cheated in my historical education. I always remembered learning the surrender was at Appomattox Court House, and assumed that meant the court house in Appomattox. Checking around, I have found out many others didn't know about the McLean house. It was an interesting experience in checking something I'd believed for quite some time, in any case. Other than that, the trip was a bit disappointing. After living in Williamsburg for so long, I think any historical sites that I visit without living people going about their other-century business just doesn't quite have the same draw. Perhaps I am asking too much to be entertained, but really I think there is so much added value in the living history aspect.

We also went to an apple harvest festival in North Garden, where the bluegrass group Applejack Jam was playing; they're one of my favorites and don't play many shows, so I always like to go out and support.

All in all it was a great visit; good to see Dad and Jeanie and fun times touring around Central VA with them. Next year they want to do some hiking, which I am all for. That and the annual Sorensen Institute lunch with Marc's parents, and we're already building a schedule for next October!

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc J. said...

Now that I know I have an audience, I feel motivated to continue! More posts to follow...

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home